Wednesday, April 21, 2010

PAD Challenge/Day 13/ Prompt: Love Poem

Waves

It was late in the evening
after a hard days work. I reclined,
feet propped, book in hand.
Reading of waves, the sentences
being the longest, most beautiful
my eyes had ever followed across a page.

I dropped the book;
It was an accident,
an influx of desire,
a moment in which the room
filled up with water that rose
to the tops of my thighs and the waves,
like the sentences, moved with divine grace,
life and art being playmates on the shore.

I picked the book up again,
jumped into the next sentence, read it aloud,
felt its cool splash
on my legs, belly, breasts, felt
an ache in my belly,
picked up the phone
to text you:
"How are you, baby?"

3 comments:

Natalie said...

What is PAD Challenge, Liz? And by the way I love that quote that a writer that doesn't read is like a bagel without cream cheese. Can I steal it? :)

Anonymous said...

PAD challenge is a poem-a-day challenge for April sponsored at http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/CategoryView,category,PoetryChallenge2010.aspx

Anonymous said...

Oh, and steal away. It was just a funny little something I came up with some day. :)