Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Jumping in: Eat your words.

I went to the meeting much the way I might go into a lake on a reticent day. One toe in, testing the waters. I had been here before and, frankly, I had doubts.
Do I have time to devote to the creation of a literary magazine? Are these people serious enough to do the work it will require? Do we really have something meaningful and particular to offer readers? Are we here for some other reason than to invent an outlet for our own masterpieces?
I went to the meeting. Christie and Kenny were already at the table. Nate was in the kitchen boiling water for tea. He had made biscuits, the softest biscuits I have ever tasted. There was butter there, but who needed it? I brought chili cherry chocolate and chai tea.
"What's in the dip?" I asked.
Pimento cheese dip. Nate had made that too. We began the meeting, snacking, each sharing what we were dreaming of in a literary magazine, what we had envisioned during the weeks since the meeting had been proposed. Now, I was getting excited. Submerged in the water. Making splashes with my feet. Diving to the bottom.
In the end, we decided on the working title Eat your words, because 1) I already owned the domain and 2) we all agreed we wanted to created something that fed each of us, others too, in that way that art sustains us.
So, here I go. My friends and I are launching an online literary magazine and it seems that now I must go draft a call for submissions...

No comments: