As karma would have it, the facilitator that I griped about in my last post, will be my mentor for the coming academic year. ☺ Oddly enough, I take this as a blessing. Though I may not have left that workshop feeling very good, I am able to recognize good advice and expertise when I see it. Aside from that news, it was a mellower day that left me time to walk and reflect. I did attend a class on storyboarding taught by Brent Spencer that left me with some practical tips for writing.
I also found out that though I go home Wednesday AM, I’m going home to an empty house. The good I can find in this ultimately sad fact (I miss my people) is that I plan to take advantage of this time to write and revise. This whole experience has been mind-blowing. I can’t really describe it, but you’ll see what I mean as I continue to post about this experience which will be ongoing until summer 2011. One more day here. Then I’ll be back to posting from daily life.
3 comments:
L--
When we had our graduate thesis workshop, I also received "more information than I could possible handle." I pretty much broke down. It was overwhelming--even the *good* feedback was overwhelming.
I have never really been a fan of the large workshop and I'm definitely not a fan of the mixed-genre workshop. I have said some stupid stuff in those workshops and have had stupid stuff said to me.
Just remember, we are all insecure solitary writers and in a room full of other writers we sometimes lose our way. Some of the best work is criticized quite terribly and we have to move past that (esp b/c I really don't think you can take what is said in these workshops to heart, writers can funny in large groups, nervous and may just be so worried they're making a good impression, have absolutely no idea what passes from their lips).
Anyway, I am SO interested in who your mentor is. Initials? MCB would be my guess.
I'm glad you made it through another residency. Wishing you continued good work.
be well.
Hi Liz--
I'm very excited for you (and little envious)-- it sounds great.
I think critique groups in a class setting can have a lot of edge... it's a mix of insecurity, ego, and actual insight. Hard to determine which is which until you achieve some distance.
I look forward to hearing about it.
Manek
kelli and manek,
Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouragement. :)
I'm home today, but so exhausted from the whole experience, that it's all I can do to drag myself from room to room, unpacking a few things here and there. Almost slept in 'til noon, and now it's not quite ten and I'm ready for bed.
Post a Comment