This may not be completely in the spirit of the prompt, but the idea lives here and writing this will help me move forward in a longer piece I'm procrastinating over.
Travis could not deny the change in Albert at dinner. In a way, he was surprised he'd come at all and relieved that at least, he'd not been broken by this. But, he only nibbled at Elise's pork chops and green beans and spoke quieter and only on matters of certainty.
“I'm glad to be be free. Thanks to true friends and one helluva private detective.”
This was the third time he'd said as much, raising his water glass in toast each time.
“Hey, Albert, are you still available to work Tuesdays? I’ve missed having the day off.” Travis prodded.
“Yeah, I’m available. Gotta keep busy, I guess.”
He hadn’t taken the bait, hadn’t made some quip about his new girl friend or how he was better than him at his job anyway. He tried again.
“What are you looking forward to most now that you’re free?”
“Not much, actually.” His words were soft, hesitant, but sure. “Not much.”
“Ah, hey, Albert. It must be hard , what you’ve been through…I can’t even imagine.”
Elise emerged from the kitchen, ruddy-cheeked, holding a steaming pie with two bright-colored rag-weave potholders.
“Who’s ready for dessert?”
“I am.” Albert seized the opportunity to change the subject and made sure they knew it was intentional. Aside to Travis, “If you don’t mind, I’d rather not talk about it.”
“Sorry man, I didn’t…”
“No worries. Let’s just talk about something else. Like, why we’re all here tonight. I was told there was some big announcement.” He spoke this last part loud, to everyone.
Travis, Veronica, and Albert turned to Elise who stood, tucked under Timothy’s shoulder.
“I truly never thought to be saying this again, and I can’t tell you how happy I am that you’re all here…”
“Come on, dad, spit it out, you’re killin’ me.”
“We’re pregnant.” Elise shrugged as she spoke, eyes amused a finally divulging their miracle secret.
Travis did the math in his head. Weren’t his parents too old for this? The long singing bowl tone of the door bell jolted him out of that thought.
“I’ll get it.”
2 comments:
oh this is nice, Liz. I love how compact and tight the dialogue is. The words chosen to be said help create/reinforce character. Keep goin'!
It's in the spirit of the prompt by my standards (which are loose, i'll be the first to admit, but...). Don't really have much in the way of suggestion. Description's good. Dialogue's solid. There's plenty of conflict.
;)
Post a Comment